Looking after our patients’ dental health is always our first purpose, but looking after the environment is very important to us.
The need for single-use instruments, materials and PPE means that going plastic-free is not realistic for any dentist. But we’re doing what we can to help, and there are things you can do with your dental care routine at home.
3 steps to greener dental care:
Step 1: Using plastic-free toothbrushes, toothpaste and floss
- Manual toothbrush made from bamboo: Truthbrush medium >
- Electric toothbrush heads: Recyclable plastic head for Oral-B >
- Electric toothbrush heads: Bamboo head for Philips Sonicare >
- Reusable floss container with silk floss refills >
- Piksters bamboo interdental brushes > (sizing guide here)
- Toothpaste tablets designed by dentists with plastic free packaging. >
- If you choose a different plastic-free toothpaste, please make sure it has fluoride at 1400ppm
Step 2: Bring your plastic dental products to us for recycling
Bring your plastic toothbrushes, floss holders and interdental brushes to your next appointment. You can put them in our dental recycling bin
Electric toothbrushes are great for brushing your teeth, but be aware that smart electric toothbrush heads are not recyclable, normal heads are
Step 3: Look after your dental health to help the environment
Every time you need a filling or any other treatment, there is an environmental impact. If you come for your regular health check and hygiene appointments, and look after your teeth at home, everybody benefits.
What we’re doing to help the environment
We’re providing the dental recycling service mentioned above, so you can bring your plastic dental products from home to recycle
The need for single-use instruments, materials and PPE means that going plastic-free is not realistic for any dentist. However, we are always looking for alternatives to help reduce our plastic waste.
- We use paper cups for mouthwash
- The suction tubes are either sterilised and reused (like most dental instruments), or made from sugarcane
- We choose products and suppliers who use more paper packaging where possible
- We use disinfectant spray so fewer wipes are discarded
All our power comes from a green electrical supplier. We don’t use gas
We recycle as much of our waste as we can
Interdental brush size comparison, Piksters/Tepes: